Saturday, February 1, 2014

Ultimate Chocolate Cake

Everybody (except my sister-in-law) likes chocolate cake. I don't know that I've ever had a bad one. But this is the best chocolate cake I've ever had (including from bakeries and restaurants), and it's hardly any more difficult than what comes in a box. Actually, a boxed cake is the main ingredient. From humble beginnings come something truly amazing. I should confess that I modified (stole) this recipe from CakeCentral.

This will more than double the volume of the boxed cake. I use it in a bundt pan, but you can also use it in cupcakes or to make a great layer cake. Do as you think best.


Ingredients

Dry
  • 1 box chocolate cake (I've used all brands with success. Get the chocolatey-est cake you can find on sale)
  • 1 C AP flour
  • 1 C white sugar
  • 1 T cocoa
  • 1 t salt

Wet
  • 1 1/3 C water
  • 1/4 C canola
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 C sour cream (or 8 oz)
  • 1 t vanilla
Steps
  1. In a mixing bowl, blend all dry ingredients.
  2. Add wet ingredients to mixing bowl and mix until mixture turns creamy.
  3. Bake in a manner appropriate to your baking pan. For a bundt pan, lightly oil all surfaces and then lightly flour before adding cake batter.
  4. Bake at 325 for a time appropriate for your baking pan. In a bundt pan, this will take about an hour. A sheet pan will be quicker.
  5. Let cool, then remove from pan and add delicious chocolate icing. Serve with homemade ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment